Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Wine Country Half Marathon!

So I registered for the Wine Country half marathon a few days ago, and training started last Monday! This will be the first time I have a time goal for a half marathon, and it is the first time I plan to have no excuses for how I've performed. I'll explain. I have run 2 full marathons, three half marathons and countless other events, like a trail running festival with a 10k, 5km hill run, and 25 km run over 2 days. Every time there's been something.

My first marathon was my first. I'd been running a year. I should've started with a 10 km event, or even a half marathon, but I jumped right in. There was my excuse.

I ran a half marathon 12 weeks pregnant. There was my excuse.

I ran another half marathon and thought I'd try carb loading with potato chips (just to see if the research was right that this was not a good idea- please don't judge, I wasn't a dietitian yet!) There's the excuse.

My most recent marathon was in the midst of moving. My husband was already in BC. I had to find childcare or push the double stroller for every run. I cut many long runs short for house showings as I tried to pack up and sell our little place in Winnipeg. There was my excuse.

So join me as I try to do this "perfectly". My training plan was designed by Stephanie Swaisland, an amazing personal trainer at Global Fitness- see her profile on the gyms website to understand how amazing she is!  I know training plans sometimes need to be adjusted, and I know some runs I do will be with kids in tow. But I'm really going to give it my all.

My diet will be designed by me, a Registered Dietitian, and better still, I'll follow it! My first long run was today, but at just over an hour it didn't require much in the way of special nutrition. I had a bit of cereal before leaving, and with my mum in town for the night, I recovered with Bliss Bakery and good company afterwards. On the way to drop my mum at the airport, we stopped at BreadCo. for a Hummus Platter to round out the day. But stay tuned, things will get more techinical!

I don't want any excuses this time, I want to say- that was my best, and I'm proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment