Monday, July 8, 2013

My weekend and an amazing supper

Another hot, beautiful weekend in the Okanagan! I love it here!

Sunday was long run day again. I had an 8 mile/13 km run scheduled. It was not crazy sunny when I was leaving (I did try leave earlier, but the little boys found me before I left and delayed departure.) After a quick breakfast (rolled oats, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, soy milk, agave, cinnamon, vanilla, chocolate chips, raisins and fresh cherries! Yum!), I managed to get out around 7:30.

Originally I had planned to drive down to the water front and run there, to reward myself with a dip after the run. But it seemed cloudy and cooler, so I just ran from home. 6.5 km down hill, followed by 6.5 km back up hill- filled with regret that there was no lake at the end of the run! Halfway through I had a gel- the run was over an hour. And I drank a slightly watered down sports drink, 500 ml, just because I'm very thirsty.

Getting home, we decided coffee and fresh cinnamon rolls on the balcony were in order. So for my immediate recovery food, I had a spoonful of peanut butter and finished my sports drink while I baked up the rolls. (recipe here: www.vegweb.com/recipes/quick-and-easy-mini-cinnamon-rolls).

I also had an almond, cherry, peach, Vega smoothie. And for supper, delicious "Chickpea Pumpkin Seed Burgers", from Dreena Burton, homemade buns, giant salad, snow peas and roasted salad turnips (why not? Oil, salt, garlic, red onion and diced, white salad turnips). I plan to do an entire post on radishes, turnips and other forgotten vegetable gems! And I'm just wrapping up research on a post on sugars and sweetners. I could probably research it for life, but I'll stick to a couple of days of reserach and give you some food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment